Thursday 12 July 2012

Exquisite Corpse Poem written during Ledbury Poetry Festival 2012

Our Festival poet in residence, Bill Manhire read this poem at his packed World Laureates reading with Kay Ryan. It was written by particpants at once of his Festival writing workshops, using the technique where people are paired and one writes a question and the other writes an answer, but neither knows what the other is writing. He commented on the uncany way that questions and answers chime. One to try at home!

The Ledbury Variations

Why is Paradise so dark?
Because the fish gather in the evening in the pool beneath the weeping willow.

Is the bride as quiet as she seems?
She is as tall as the sky.

What is Truth?
The capital of Lithuania.

Does the tree always dream of clouds?
I will hang my wishes from a tree.

Do you believe in angels?
I'm polishing my shoes and shining up my buttons.

What's the longest poem you've ever read?
Seventeen billion kilometres from the sun.

How might I compare you to a summer's day?
All mummies are 21 and all daddies are 22.

How much whale blubber does it take to make four candles?
Knead it then leave it to rise.

What do the letters L I B O R stand for?
It means you've been telling lies.

Why do salmon swim upstream?
Because the underground river under my street is nameless.

When will the river burst its banks?
It takes a long time for a tortoise.

Why do they say only the good die young?
Because the stars are looking into our heads.

What the hell do you think you're doing?
Oh, this is a special evening.

Why do the stars keep changing their positions in the sky?
Because the room is too small for me.

Why do I always get lost on car journeys?
Because we don't need medicine.

Are we nearly there yet?
Please stop bothering me.
What would you say if I asked you about your deep past?
A box of six screws makes more noise when rattled than a box of six staples.

Why do people love the moon?
Because when she came to tea, she never took her hat off.

Will the bankers let us join in their picnic?
I think that is highly unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment